Analyzing data is much easier and faster today thanks to cloud computing and on-demand availability of computer system resources such as data storage and computing power. However, the development of cloud solutions requires tools adapted to special characteristics of the cloud and fast time-to-markets demanded by companies and organizations. Cloud distributed systems are highly complex due to the wide variety of technologies and frameworks that can be used in the whole stack, the underlying microservice architectures, or the management of the deployment pipeline. To develop services from scratch is expensive, as well as time-consuming, and one of the main challenges IT companies are facing is reflected in the difficulty to find qualified IT staff in the market to face these challenges.
Makes the development and deployment of data-intensive services for the cloud easier than before.
In this context, the SmartCLIDE consortium proposes the creation of a new cloud-native Integrated Development Environment (IDE) that makes the development and deployment of data-intensive services for the cloud easier than before, aiming at bridging the gap between on-demand business strategies and the lack of qualified software professionals.
Which will be the main features of our IDE?
- Lifecycle support.
- Insightful source code monitoring.
- Version Control and Configuration Management Integration.
We propose on top some very nice features based on the power of Deep Learning that make SmartCLIDE very special:
- Development by demonstration and text notation. Making use of a Deep Learning Engine, and based on the current features, SmartCLIDE will automatically retrieve resources that it considers relevant for the new development. The end-user will be able to use text notation to enhance the description of the retrieved behavior or algorithm. Based on these new indications, the Deep Learning Engine will dynamically propose programmatic solutions to obtain the desired output. The environment will also enable developers to face programming tasks by manipulating abstractions straight forward, not requiring previous knowledge of the underlying language.
- Automatic software classification. Our Deep Learning Engine will automatically identify and classify already existing and new software abstractions that will be visualized in the IDE for re-utilization, based on the purpose or behavior defined by the end-user.
- Continuous integration and deployment assistance. SmartCLIDE will guide the user through each stage of the lifecycle, ensuring that the generated code has been properly tested, accurately integrated within the corresponding development branch, and automatically deployed in the selected cloud service, implementing the end-to-end responsibility of the DevOps philosophy.
SmartCLIDE will be based on Eclipse THEIA, the cloud version of the Eclipse IDE, offering all the necessary tools for developing in one single place. It will be a rich interface, with a vast range of features to accelerate the deployment of cloud services, improve their quality, and expand the skills of novel and experienced developers.
Source: SmartCLIDE Project
In January 2020, the SmartCLIDE (Cloud, deep-Learning, IDE, Discovery and programming-by-Example) project was created under the leadership of the Bremen Institute for Applied Systems Technology ATB. The project proposes a new smart cloud native development environment based on the coding-by-demonstration principle and its goal is to find new ways to boost the adoption of cloud and Big Data solutions in small and medium-sized enterprises and public sector organizations. SmartCLIDE provides support for cloud services creators on different levels of abstraction at all stages of full-stack data-centered services and enables the self-discovery of IaaS and Saas services with the ultimate aim of providing a tool for empowering non-technical staff to deploy new services.
SmartCLIDE is an European consortium of eleven partners from Germany, Greece, Luxembourg, Portugal, Spain, and the United Kingdom in which the AIR Institute is an active member.